“Adam was one of the first people to recognize the power of the Internet as an advertising & marketing medium, and played an invaluable role in founding an industry.” – Steven Carlson
Thank you for taking the time to learn more about me and what I might be able to do for you. This site is designed to be a quick read to give you a taste of my background, my experience and how we might work together. It is designed to get you to pick up the phone or send me an email to schedule a discovery session in which you’ll be able to tell me more about your business before we start working together. It would be presumptuous of me to try to explain to you here how I can help you without first learning more about your business, specific goals and what resources & budget you have available to reach those goals.
My name is Adam Boettiger and I’ve been helping businesses reach customers online since 1994. The first ad campaign ran on the web around 1996 for AT&T; and Zima. Even before that I was working as a Marketing Consultant advising businesses how to reach customers on AOL and CompuServe, then the two major online services prior to the web’s emergence as a commercial medium circa 1995.
Through the years, I’ve helped companies large and small, from Microsoft and Virgin Atlantic Airways all the way down to companies the size of a mom and pop Bed and Breakfast on the shores of Cape Cod who wanted to use the web to drive reservations and tell the nation of their existence. I’ve helped real estate agents generate qualified leads from very tight geographic regions. I’ve helped lawyers generate top of mind awareness, referrals and new business. I’ve hit B2C audiences. I’ve hit B2B audiences. And much, much more.
Of the thousands of businesses that I have helped over the years, all had two things in common: They each had a problem or challenge (many had more than just one) and they each ultimately recognized that I was the one person who could help them solve their problem.
We brought Adam in as a strategic expert to develop and execute the online pre- launch for Microsoft Office 2003. Not only did he successfully achieve the goal of targeting 11 different B2B vertical target markets, but his suggestions tripled conversion on the signup pages for Microsoft’s webinars. In the media buying portion of the campaign, he took a budget of $200K and aggressively negotiated it into $1,000,000 worth of advertising – all within a 30-day time period. His work far exceeded our expectations and we would work with him again anytime.
– Dana Cohen, Marketing Programs Director – Jack Morton Worldwide (Microsoft’s marcom agency)
My background is a unique one. Prior to my entry into marketing in 1994, I’d already had careers in law enforcement for the US Army and in Emergency Medical Services saving lives as an EMT on an ambulance crew. I always say that the two prepared me well to deal with the stress and challenges presented by marketing startups and bootstrapping companies. They also prepared me for the fast-paced world of online marketing and gave me a fairly direct personality that most of my clients have appreciated, one that I’m told is very atypical among marketing folks: I tell it like it is.
Over the course of my 24 years experience in the digital marketing sector, I’ve done many things. Here are just a few:
– Founded and moderated the industry’s largest professional community specific to internet advertising, “I-Advertising”, and grew membership to over 12,000 individuals in 90 countries. This was before Google. Before Facebook. Before Social Media.
– Lead instructor, AdWeek’s How to Buy and Sell Web Advertising workshop
– Keynote Speaker, Internet World
– Featured Speaker, AdTech
– Featured Speaker at industry conferences in India, Austria, Sweden, Spain, NY and LA.
– Client-side Director of Marketing managing multi-million dollar marketing budgets across online and offline media sectors
– Client-side Internet Marketing Manager
– Client-side Director of Digital Marketing
– Client-side VP Business Development
– Client-side VP Marketing
– Agency-side Direct Marketing
– Agency-side Digital Strategy, B2B & B2C
– Agency-side Strategic Marketing
– Agency side Account Supervisor position for a 175-person integrated advertising agency, interactive lead on a $30 million account
– And many other roles through consulting opportunities
Why I Want to Help You
I have a passion for helping others and I enjoy working with startups and businesses where I can apply my years of experience and leverage my industry relationships on behalf of you, my client.
Generous. That is the first word that comes to mind. In a day and age where everyone is the ‘expert’, Adam is the expert with a heart of gold. Initially, as his client, his generosity made me quite skeptical. I just didn’t understand it in this ‘dog-eat-dog’ world we live in that there would be someone who had no ulterior motives, but who was genuinely interested in helping me and my business. As our relationship evolved and molded itself, it became blaring clear that Adam really does care. He is the expert wearing many different hats simultaneously, giving perspectives from every angle, but his ultimate goal is to simply build up your ammunition of information so that you are armed and ready to create the results you seek. Adam is the knowledgeable helpdesk person behind the counter with the incredible customer service ability we so desperately hope for every time we get on the phone!
– Raj Neogy, President – DVD Spotlight
I’ve owned and sold several multi-million dollar businesses over the years. Forget the buzzwords. Forget those who pretend they know what they’re doing. Adam knows the industry so well that the University of Oregon brought him in to teach internet marketing to MBA students. I have over twenty-five years of experience in business and direct marketing, and I consider him to be one of maybe five people in the world I would go to for advice and learn something every time. He ‘gets it’, where so many others do not.
– Jaffer Ali, President & CEO – PennMedia and VidSense
How I Can Help You
Over the years I’ve helped businesses in four primary capacities:
1. Coach / Instructor
4. Tactical Executor
Coach / Instructor
Many clients engage me for as little as $500/month to spend a few hours per month by phone with them. Think of it like having a secret weapon on speed dial whose sole goal is to make you look like a hero by providing unbiased, direct information that is instantly actionable in your current role.
As a strategist I’ve:
– Developed marketing plans
– Developed search marketing strategies
– Developed advertising sales strategies
– Solved problems related to online marketing, business and ad sales
– Advised clients, providing guidance and direction
– Helped clients establish measurable goals
– Clearly defined success
– Developed budgets and funding requests
– Acted as a Client Advocate
– Advised clients on ways to improve ad sales and site revenue
– Provided mission-critical advice in an easy-to-understand manner
Made C-level and VP-level introductions to expand the client’s network
As a producer, I’ve:
– Conducted agency reviews and helped clients select the perfect agency
– Researched and selected vendors to meet client needs
– Engaged and managed onshore and offshore vendors
– Acted as Project Manager for small, medium and large projects
– Managed vendors to implement Pay-Per-Click campaigns
– Managed vendors in the execution of Search Engine Optimization
– Worked as an ‘Acting Director of Marketing’ on a part-time basis
– Acted as an Air Traffic Controller, bringing together the elements of success for my clients
– Helped improve advertising sales by building a sales team
As a tactical executor, I’ve:
– Walked the talk and done what I teach
– Conducted and managed Pay-Per-Click, programmatic and Facebook ad campaigns
– Conducted Search Engine Optimization
– Negotiated and purchased media
– Developed advertisements
– Sold online advertising
– Forensically analyzed digital advertising fraud and negotiated thousands of dollars in makegoods or refunds for my clients
– Managed agency and vendor relationships on behalf of brands
– Conducted agency and vendor reviews
– Trafficked online campaigns
– Driven traffic and sales
– Improved conversion on client web sites
– Created and conducted email marketing campaigns
– Created and managed email newsletters
– Implemented web analytics
– Evaluated Cost Per Visitor, Cost Per Lead, Cost Per Sale and other important web analytics
– Optimized landing pages and signup processes to boost conversion
– Developed web sites
– Managed site development projects that involved teams of designers
– Much, much more
“What does it cost to work with you?” is a fair question once clients see the value in having an industry expert on their team rather than the competition’s team. I’ll try to give an equally fair answer:
In general I have two types of clients: Project-Based and Monthly-Retainer.
Project-Based clients tend to have a finite need that can be clearly identified, with a start, a completion and a deliverable. I’ve had Project-Based clients engage me for as little as $500 and as much as $150,000. If this is you and you’d like a bid, call or email me to outline your needs. I don’t do proposals. I have conversations to determine whether we are a good fit for each other. If I can help you, I will. If I can’t, I’ll tell you why and I’ll always try to introduce you to someone who can or point you in the right direction.
Retainer-Based clients tend to have a laundry list of things they know need to be done (and many that they don’t know), no time to handle them in-house or have needs that are not easily defined. In many instances part of my initial role is to actually help the client identify and define specific needs, build in measurable goals and structure a realistic budget that will help them attain those goals. I’ve had Retainer-Based clients engage me for as little as $500/month for something like email or phone-based consulting and as much as $20,000/month for very time-intensive work.
It all starts with a conversation or a cup of coffee. I will always take a meeting or a call to explore potential new business, and there’s no charge to determine whether I can help you or not.
Phone: 503.308.3063 cell | email